Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sharing the gospel tips! :)

I don't know if any of you have taken the challenge yet of praying about who to bring to pageant... and inviting them, but I did get a text a few days ago saying that someone had invited a non-member and gotten completely shut down. It's ok! Don't give up! :) I was studying this talk by Elder Bednar titled "ask in faith" given in the April 2008 general conference and it gives us some tips on how to be member missionaries! So I thought I'd share it.

"If you and I would truly pray and ask in faith, as did Joseph Smith - if we would pray with the expectation to act and not just to express - then the work of proclaiming the gospel would move forward in a remarkable way. Such a prayer of faith might include some of the following elements:

-Thanking Heavenly Father for the doctrines and ordinances of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, which brings hope and happiness into our lives.
-Asking for courage and boldness to open our mouths and share the gospel with our family and friends.
-Entreating Heavenly Father to help us identify individuals and families who will be receptive to our invitation to be taught by the missionaries in our homes.
-Pledging to do our part this day and this week and petitioning for help to overcome anxiety, fear, and hesitation.
-Seeking for the gift of discernment - for eyes to see and ears to hear missionary opportunities as the occur.
-Praying fervently for the strength to act as we know we should.

...I invite all of us to pray in faith about our divinely given mandate to proclaim the gospel. As we do so, I promise doors will open and we will be blessed to recognize and act upon the opportunities that will be provided."

That is quite the promise! This gospel is amazing, but it is not meant to be kept to ourselves, we must share it! :) Good luck!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Very nice emily. I think I will work on the praying for help to overcome anxiety, fear, and hesitation and strength to act. Great thoughts.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Thanks for the encouragement Em! Today some Jehovah Witnesses knocked on my door. I was nice and they just shared a verse from the Bible about happiness that comes from trying to follow our Heavenly Father's example. I agreed and bore a small testimony, but didn't really share anything new with them. Afterwards i felt so guilty! I should've done more, said something or given them something to read in return! I knew they were wondering the neighborhood so I grabbed an extra Finding Faith in Christ DVD, but couldn't find them. Next time I'll be better prepared to not just be nice and agreeable but share with them some of what I know to be true!

Natalie said...

Hey, so I guess you have internet access up at Oakrest? How's it going!??