Saturday, June 6, 2009

Danger Zone!

So each week at Oakcrest we have a theme and this week it was... (drum roll please) "THE DANGER ZONE!" I think because we're all secret agents for the Lord and our mission is to build testimonies and friendships with campers all summer! haha or something like that :)The whole week is the theme, but mostly it just affects the Tuesday night party...

So it was pre-camp week, which meant a whole ton of training, training, and more training, oh and a little bit of fun too :)

On Monday it was Scout's birthday. The kitchen staff was going to make her a cake, but her parents brought one up. So instead of making her a cake, we made her into a cake! We drenched her in flour, salt, sugar, cocoa, and water! bahaha good times! and it of course turned into one big cake fight!
Trill, Scout, KaBunga, Awesome, Itty Bitty


Here's a bunch of us on the big field, we're waiting to play with the ginormous parachute!

So here we have: Sport, Bear Grylls, and Tortoise


Squiggy, Mishka, Sunny D, Buttons, Lobsterbush, Scrumptious, Sneakers, and Snooze


Warrior, Notes, Giggles, Heinz, Rufio, Lady Bug, Awesome, and Boo


Every Tuesday morning we have a cook out! We make Bacon and pancakes! So here's the cooks!

Warrior


and Bubbles


When we have girls there will only be two counselors and their girls. Each of the girls are required to bring a mess kit to eat with, but the counselors, well they just use what they can find :) We didn't have anything that morning so hands it was! haha Oakcrest is SO dirty! I LOVE IT! So No utensils?? No Problem!
Snap, Notes, Ninjete, Sneakers, Bubbles, Symphony, and Moab


There is also a sweet tradition at Oakcrest. Whenever we have cookouts we brush out teeth with ash! I have no idea where this idea came from.. but it works really well! A counselor from last year would even take some ash home to brush her teeth with because it makes them so much whiter! and People would seriously ask her all the time how she got her teeth so white :) Well... This is one tradition that could save many people lots of money! But the pictures during are not so pretty...
Cleaning teeth: Warrior, Moab, Bubbles, Ninjete (my awesome roommate #1), Sneakers(my awesome roommate #2)
Me and Notes


My Clean Teeth!


Tuesday Night is the party! Everyone has to make costumes to go with the theme! It's super fun! For my costume me and like ten other girls were the game clue! (that goes with danger zone right?)... I was the Dice! But unfortunately my camera battery died so I didn't get a picture... Here's some of the other girls tho!

Shortcake (as a wrench from "Clue"... she's also one of my awesome roommates!) and Zazzy a Bond girl!


Scissors - bear grylls and tortoise
Bahaha these girls are so funny!! I seriously could just sit and watch them and they'd keep me entertained for hours... But I wouldn't cause that'd make me a creeper :)


Everyone wears their super cool costumes to dinner that night, then we head out to the fields to play games! After playing games for awhile they had us all sit on a tarp in a circle... and then one of my childhood dreams came true. We had a pudding fight!!!!! Chocolate pudding was everywhere!! Oh my goodness it was one of the funnest things of my entire life! I was laughing so hard. Everyone was slipping all over in pudding! We had it up our nose, in our ears, and pretty much everywhere else! It took a very long time to get it out of my hair on Tuesday, and quite a bit of work to get my clothes clean today, but it was well worth the effort! I hope I never get to old for pudding fights! and, I hope that I will have another pudding fight soon! haha Anyone up for a little pudding?!
Red Chief, Giggles, Treble, and Ace


Bunga and Scout - these are the assistant directors and the pudding fight was their childhood dream... and they made it happen! Oakcrest! This is what dreams are made of!


Here's the whole group! Hugs to anyone who can figure out which pudding-y face is mine!


A few snap shots of us hanging out in Tree Hut (aka couch land!)
Awesome and Tortoise


Hooray for KEYS! Shortcake, Itty Bitty, Zipidee


Zac Effron! Yes, he was really there, and I even got to confess my love to him in every language I know! haha at Oakcrest if we ever forget something somewhere and someone picks it up we have to do embarassing things to get it back. I left my keys at Aspen Grove... and I got to confess love to Zac in front of everyone! hahaha EMBARASSING!


Scout and Domino (Domino is the director of camp and does an amazing job! We love her) in Tree Hut


Bunga N' Boots - for some reason, she wears these everywhere! haha She is one crazy girl, but of course, we love her!


Treble and Zazzy - these are the craft specialists among other things. They're way neat girls! and they had a miracle happen this week...

So... neither of them are really draw-ers. They've never done any major drawing. As Craft Specialists they are in charge of making the back drop for the summer. Our theme this Summer is Hope In Christ. Let me tell you, it is a powerful theme and I truly have a testimony of hope in Christ. So Zazzy and Treble worked on it everyday. They prayed before they started each time, and they were finished with it by Wednesday, a new camp record! They did it out of chalk, and I think it turned out amazing! Three Champ cheers for Zazzy and Treb! (clap clap woo! clap clap woo! clap clap woo!)
Backdrop


So this is the Oakcrest '09 staff! Aren't we super?!
Group Shot


These girls are amazing. I have loved getting to know them all a little better this week, and I just find each girl uniquely wonderful! On Wednesday we had staff testimony meeting, and let me just tell you, these girls have strong testimonies. Every staff member up there has been prepared to serve this summer at Oakcrest. I know that they are each called of God, and brought to Oakcrest for such a time as this. It is going to be a neat summer. The spirit at Oakcrest is wonderful, and I can't wait to be a part of sharing the gospel with 1000s of girls. I'm so blessed!

For friends and family night my mom, Dane, Isaac, Simeon, and Debbie, and Grandma and Grandpa Peterson all came! and even my dad showed up a little late! I am very grateful for their loving support. I wouldn't be able to make it through the summer without the support from back home. I don't have any pics, because my camera was dead... but my mom took some so hopefully she'll share those on her blog!

Miracles of the week:
-It was supposed to rain all week, but if it did we wouldn't have been able to train as much as we needed to. We prayed for good weather, and it only slightly sprinkled a few times. Didn't slow us down a bit!
-The craft specialists made an amazing back drop!
-Sapphire, one of the women's committee had a health problem. We all prayed for her, and she is already doing so much better!
-Tuesday morning we couldn't get the fire started so we prayed... and guess what?! The fire started!
-I gave my part of the lesson for FHE and I truly felt guided by the spirit.
-and many many more. Miracles happen all the time at Oakcrest. I'm so glad I get to witness them!

I have never prayed or cried (happy tears) so much in my life! and I'm sure there is more to come! I've been home today, done laundry, gone shopping, and prepared a little more for this week of Oakcrest... I hope I am ready for this week! I am a floater and the theme is.... (drum roll please :)) "ONCE UPON A TIME...!" Please stay tuned! I love you!

7 comments:

Kerryann Rowley said...

I am so happy for you Emily. This really is going to be an amazing summer for you. I wish I would have read your blog sooner. I might have went to Oakcrest with my girls to see you and what you are doing. Oh well, I wil keep reading your blog. I love it!!

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you are sharing so much of your fun and experiences and new friends and miracles. I'm so glad it is all going so well. We sure enjoyed our time there and are excited for you.

Julie said...

I am so jealous! I want to go back in time and be a camp counsilor. Would they let me do it now? I totally want to brush my teeth with ash! And I totally want to get in a pudding fight.

Elise said...

WOw looks like tons and tons and tons of fun and awesome experiences! Does the ash thing really work? Of course i could tell your pudding face, you can't miss that smile :) I'm glad the fam went to support you! How lucky you are to be at Oakcreste ALL SUMMER LONG! Sorry i didn't get a hold of you on saturday, you guys must have all been doing something fun that evening because NOBODY would answer their phones. ANyway, the girls will love you! And your nephew says hello ( he just kicked me ) Love you em!

Natalie said...

That's pretty intense Em! Sounds like SO much fun! I'm curious about the ash thing- keep it up and let us know if it really works! And thanks for sharing with us the miracles you've noticed. i've thought a lot lately about just being more aware of the Lord's hand all around us. Isn't it great!

Lauri said...

Emily, you make life fun being good!

Rebecca said...

so. . . whats your address?