Saturday, August 7, 2010

offer UP!



Session: Provo Blue 11 Company Name: Offer Up

This week was SO much fun! I had a lot of firsts this week! For my very first time ever - I had 16-18 year olds, I had two boy co's, instead of a girl and a boy, and we had a woman session director! I didn't even know that was allowed! So Sunday night I felt very excited and ready to start the week.

Our fireside by Sister Reading (the session director) was awesome. We talked about knowing what the prophet has said recently, and following it. It was pretty crazy actually. In a room full of efy counselors (people who spend every day each week teaching the gospel to the youth, people who should know what the prophet has recently said) nobody really knew what the prophet had asked us to do in the last General Conference. Sister Reading then gave us President Monson's talks from the last two General Conferences and we went through and found everything that he had asked us to do and then found the promises he gave us if we would obey. It was really neat, and it's something I want to do with every general conference.

My co's this week were Cameron, who isengaged to be married this week and so great with the kids, and Mitchel who waiss really awesome. He is a worthy priesthood holder with a good heart, a true respect for women, and an excitement about the gospel. I learned a lot from both of them.

Our company was absolutely amazing this week. All of my girls were just simply inspiring. They were just good girls. At each devotional, scripture study, and lesson all of our company rocked at participating. They were so willing to share their insights and thoughts, and I learned so much from each of them. I think because they were older they were a lot more comfortable with themselves. It was also so fun because they were more like my friends, instead of... younger than that. Two of my boys had mission calls, so I was only 1-2 years older than them. They all just genuinely cared for everyone. The Tuesday night dance was especially fun. We just laughed and goofed off all night.

Wednesday night is Games Night! It started raining Wednesday afternoon and as games night got closer it was decided that we would have games night inside. No big deal, BYU has an indoor soccer field. We were assigned to go there with one other session - probably about 800-1000 kids total in the field. We split it in half and all was going well and dandy... We did a bunch of efy rollar coaster - so fun!

Then we did some sitting around and posing for pictures...
and then... the BYU women's soccer team showed up and said they needed at least half the field for their practice. We then squished 800-1000 kids... AND all of their counselors into half a soccer field. Basically this meant we had zero moving space. As we sat around and waited for the people in charge to decide what to do we took some more pics...


then it was decided that we would play the worlds biggest game of giants, elves, and wizards. It was going to be session vs session. This game is sort of like rock, paper, scissors, but on a team. If the team lost then they had to run to a safety zone before getting tagged by the other team. Being the great counselors that we are, we all got to stand behind them, just in front of the safety zone, and show them the sign they would do. So this is a brief video of me watching my life flash before my eyes as about 800 kids come running straight for me... aaaa! 



Just a few more pictures of these inspiring sights that I got to witness. Youth scattered all over BYU campus, studying the scriptures. Absolutely amazing.



 Then of course some pics of the Friday Service Project...




Mitch, Bronson, Whitney, Kira, Quin (and that's Lars in the back)
 and this is North, (ya that's really his name, like the north star?) definitely one of my favorite kids. He makes me smile so much, and probably one of the sweetest kids that I've ever met. He's learning Japanese, cool huh?

and here's the traditional company pictures/address exchange that happens every Friday afternoon. 

Back: Kimberly, Makenzie, Tori, Megan, Whitney, Emily A, Jessica, Lauren
Middle: Maddy, me, Heather, Katie
Front: Kira

Riley, Lars, Va'a,
Quin
North, me, Sean, Max, Quin, Sam

Kira, Tori, and Whitney

Me and my boys! 

Back: Max, Brandon, Morgan, Duncan, Sean, Va'a, Lars, Michael, Randall, Sam, Zach
Middle: Megan, Dragon, Jessica, Daniel, Lauren, North, Whitney, Justin, Makenzie, Heather, Bronson, Kimberly, Riley, EmilyA., Kira, Tori, Quin, Maddy, Katie
Front: Cameron and me!

Cameron, me, and Offer Up! (Mitch had a tendency to go missing)

Cameron, Whitney, me, Mitch
A last few things:
  • Justin, one of my boys who had a mission call, was also a magician! Like legit. It was awesome. He blew my mind at least twenty times this week!
  • I was especially inspired by the youth of the church this week. They are so good and truly have a desire to be better. 
  • The theme this week seemed to be fighting against Satan's attack on the family. It hit me how important it is that I start preparing now for motherhood. What a great opportunity it will be to help raise the future leaders of the church. It also hit me that it is important to strengthen my family now. 
  • One of the greatest lessons I learned this week was: when you're struggling to love someone, pray for them. It really does work. 
  • Another lesson? Don't ever judge anyone, because really. You have no idea where they're coming from. 
It was an awesome week! I can't believe I only have one more left. I hope I've done all that my Heavenly Father has needed me too. 

No comments: