Sometimes it's really hard for me to sit out and watch my kids play so hard. I want so badly to be able to jump in and play with them. Not only would it be so fun, but so much bonding and growing happens as you play together. I was thinking about this, and trying to understand why my Heavenly Father felt that I still needed to be in a boot during this job. It would make so much more sense to be able to actually walk and run with the youth. As I was thinking about this though, the spirit opened my spiritual eyes -
Last week at the ropes course I had an awesome experience. The ropes course is always a good experience, but this time was exceptional. I was taking a group through and we had had a wonderful time. They were asking me the whole time how I had broken my leg. Sometimes I don't like to tell people - mostly just because it's embarassing to say that I slipped on the ice and broke it into three pieces, and tore the ligaments in my ankle and it's STILL healing, I mean seriously. Who does that? :) So everytime they asked me I kept dodging the question, I told them to think of a good story for me, or to guess, and I'd tell them.
Our last event was the trust fall. For those of you who don't know what that is, one member of the team stands on a 4 foot high stump, we belt their arms to the side, and then they fall backwards, while the rest of the team catches them. As you can imagine, it's pretty hard, you have to really trust you're team. It's usually a really good bonding experience. Well, because I have a broken leg none of my groups have asked me to do any of the events with them. For some reason tho (after everyone else had gone), the boys in my group said ok twinkie boots (they call me that, because my nickname was twinkle... and I wear a very large, very attractive black boot around) it's you're turn! I protested, using my broken leg as an excuse, but they didn't accept that claiming that you didn't need two good legs to do it, one and a half legs would suffice. So they all helped me get on top of the now seemingly ten foot high stump. I'm not gonna lie, I was scared to death. It took me several tries and lots of encouragement from my team, but I finally did it. And they caught me! As soon as they caught me, it was like boom! Instantly we bonded, we were a team, and I knew they would catch me, and never let me fall. It was amazing.
After my heart stopped beating uncontrollably, and my hands stopped shaking they said "ok twinkie boots, I think we're close enough that you can tell us how you broke your leg." So we had a little story time, out in the middle of the woods, where it was quiet, and the spirit could speak. I told them the long version of the story, included the amazing priesthood blessing I received, and a testimony of how the Lord has a hand in my life, and in each of theirs. I told them that He is always there, He is always providing a way, and He will take care of them each time they fall. It was almost an indescribable experience, the spirit was so strong as we sat there in God's beautiful nature, and as I closed in the name of Jesus Christ, I could see that they had all felt it, they all knew that they could depend on their Heavenly Father. I love every one of those kids, and I hope they remember the spirit that they felt there.
I thought over that experience a few nights later, and it hit me, what a huge blessing it is that I broke my leg. What a blessing that my leg is not yet healed. I have had so many opportunities to share my testimony because I am still wearing this beautiful large boot around. I know that Heavenly Father is in control and that all things happen for a reason. All things are for my experience and my good (D&C 122), but I also believe that if I am living righteously, then all things can be for the good of those around me too.
"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
How true is that. The time is now. This life is not a dress rehearsal. This is my one shot. Tomorrow is the only chance I will get to live June 28, 2010. I hope that I will go about doing good and showing kindness, helping my brothers and sisters on their way home. I hope that tomorrow I will be better than I was today.
In one of the testimony meetings I got to attend last week, someone talked about how when you're living the gospel, every day of your life just gets better and better. Isn't that wonderful?! What a great future we have to look forward too! As President Monson promised: "The future is as bright as your faith."
Also while working this month I have gotten to know this girl a lot better. Elyse Taylor is one amazing girl! I love her! She is so cute, so loveable, and so sincerely kind. We had a lot of good talks while waiting for our group, and I appreciate it so much. At one point she said, isn't it sad that we go through life, and sometimes it takes us so long to realize how many good people we are surrounded with? Elyse and I went to high school together, we were even in Orchestra together, but we were never good friends, and I really regret that. It makes me wonder how many other amazing people I've missed out on the chance of knowing, because I didn't have the courage to get out of my comfort zone and make new friends. I hope that I will be able to stop judging people before I know them, and take the time to really know someone. I truly believe there is something we can learn from everyone. Thanks Elyse, you're an amazing girl!
Well... I think that about wraps it up, if you made it to the end of this post, congratulations! If not, that's fine, I'm not mad :) It's mostly for me anyways. I want to remember the things I am learning.
PS Evan's mom received his trival itinerary, he will be arriving home, in Utah after two years, on September 16! I am so unbelievably excited! Can you believe it? He really is going to come home!
6 comments:
Gosh Emily, your post made me cry. I miss snow fun a lot. THere are so many opportunities in that Job to learn, and grow. I love and miss coming up with ways the Lord blesses our lives in the simplest ways. Thanks for sharing. Love you.
p.s. september 16th huh, thats soon, and thats exciting!
umm have i told you how amazing you are? seriously you just teach me so much! Clearly your calling down here on earth is to keep me in line!!! I love you, and can't wait to see you soon!!
I love that job; over the years it has been my favorite and I formed such great friendships there! I'm so happy for you that you get to experience such an incredible adventure!
Your example continues to teach me. I wish I could follow you around and feast on the crumbs of learning that might fall as you jump into so many great experiences. I don't know why I get to be your mom but I am sure grateful. I love you.
. . . and I love my own lessons too. Heavenly Father sure is good to us.
Thank you for sharing these experiences. I've really enjoyed this post.
Woah! Evo's coming home?!?! That's insane! Em. I found this amazing blog that I think every woman needs to check out, so I wanted to tell you to go to it RIGHT NOW. It will change your life. It's
http://operationbeautiful.com/
Just remember you are beautiful, just the way you are :)
Miss ya, see ya later, love you, bye!
Post a Comment