Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Learning

I know that Heavenly Father is in control and that he does what is very best for us. But just because it's best, doesn't mean it's easy. I also know that hard things happen so that we can learn. So, now I am trying to learn.

Here's the story:

Last Thursday (February 11) I was walking home from school and slipped on the ice. After I met the sidwalk quite abruptly, I decided instead of getting up I'd just lay there in the snow and cry for awhile. Soon enough one of my very kind neighbors, Steve Gunderson, came out and found me, and carried me back to my apartment. After several hours at the instacare, a couple x-rays, and quite a few tears I was told that my leg was broken, and that I would need surgery.

Today I went to meet with my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Murray. We scheduled my surgery for Friday morning. The great news is that I will recover, the not as great news is that its going to take awhile. After the surgery I'll have 12 weeks on crutches, after which I will then get the hardware removed, and have several more weeks on crutches. I tell you what. Life changes so fast.

Here's what I am learning, and I'm sure I'll get to learn a lot more :)

If you read my previous post, you'll know that the day before my accident I had decided to pray that Heavenly Father would help my unbelief, or strengthen my faith.

About ten mins after my accident my roommate had found another very kind neighbor, William, to come and give me a blessing. I am very grateful that he was worthy and willing, and available. Finding him was actually kind of a miracle, he hadn't been planning on coming home in between work and school, but he just did. His blessing was fairly short, but in it he promised me that my injury would heal completely, and that I would be able to keep up with my schoolwork. Now he had no idea that I am the type of student who never misses class. Even while I was sitting on the couch with a broken leg, tears still running down my face, I was watching the clock wondering how in the world I was going to get my papers written and turned in on time. Having that promise that everything was going to work out meant so much to me. What a testimony builder of the priesthood. I know it is the power of God.

Yesterday while I was home with my family we were reading in Alma 18. Its about when Ammon is with King Lamoni and he has just chopped off the arms of the Lamanites who were trying to scatter the kings sheep. In this chapter he is going about his other duties, and King Lamoni thinks he is the Great Spirit. Ammon then gets the opportunity to teach him the gospel. But... In the chapter previous to that chapter, Alma 17 in verse 35 it says, talking about the wicked lamanites who were scattering the king's sheep and didn't fear ammon, who was just one man "for they knew not that the Lord had promised Mosiah that he would deliver his sons out of their hands." Ammon was given a promise that he would be delivered and that he would return home safely after his mission. and guess what? They didn't ever even doubt that promise. They had complete faith that the Lord would hold true to His promises.

Just like Ammon I was given a promise. I was told that I would heal completely, and that everything with school would be just fine. So even if it is going to take four months, and even if I have no idea how in the world I am going to get to all of my classes on crutches, especially since walking from Old Main to the institute about killed me today :), and even if I don't understand how in the world it's all going to work, I, like Ammon have to have faith in the promises that the Lord gives me. I know that if I do my part, and give my very best, He will fulfill His promises.

As I was pondering this I also thought of Ether 12:6, "for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." what did I ask for? That my faith would be strengthened.This is certainly a trial of my faith, but if I endure it well, I will receive a great witness. I know that Heavenly Father is in control, and the experiences He gives me are the very best for me to learn. I know that if I do my part my faith will be strengthened. I also know that the next several months are going to be hard. But with all the wonderful people who have already brought me cookies, and visited me, and offered to do so much for me. and with My Heavenly Father's help, well I am going to be just fine. and you know what? This is going to be an amazing experience that I will always look back on.

We took some pictures today at the Dr.'s app. So here's one of me trying to elevate my leg, but the table was a bit higher than I expected.
and this is what my crazy ankle looks like. They've already been called cankles... twice! But oh well, I worked hard to make my ankle look like that! :)





5 comments:

Elise said...

Oh Em, your Cankle looks awesome :) But i'm sorry about your leg. See you soon, Love you!

Rebecca said...

You inspire me so much. I'm a little worried now thought because I was trying to understand why we are going through more hospital visits, I was trying to remember that the Lord is in charge and I prayed that he would please understand that I know he is watching over me and my family but please forgive my doubts and help my unbelief.

I guess we just hang on tight and ride it out on our knees, praising God all along the way.

The Peterson 5 said...

Get better soon! That is no fun...hopefully you'll get use to the crutches & be able to still get around!

The Atkinson Family Blog said...

Oh girl!! I'm so sorry! I love that you are such a strong girl and have so much faith! You remind me so much of Evan! You two are both so very strong! Thank you for your great example! Miss you! Hope all goes well.

Cindy Lou said...

Oh my goodness!!! This sounds like quite the adventure! I just starting reading your blog a few minutes ago and I love it. I'm really sorry you've had to go through all of this. Life is crazy, that's for sure. I hope you are doing well :)